Reuters has identified the universities doing the most to advance science, invent new technologies and power new markets and industries.
The universities leading the advances in science and developing the most revolutionary technologies in the world have been identified and ranked. Reuters has published their annual ranking of the World’s Most Innovative Universities.
This year, the most innovative university in the world, for the third consecutive year, is Stanford University. “Stanford has long played a key role in the development of our modern networked world,” writes David Ewalt for Reuters. “Today the university continues to consistently produce original research and technology.”
In the second and third place are MIT and Harvard, respectively. While in the fourth place is the University of Pennsylvania, climbing four spots from #8 last year. Overall, the top ranks of The World's Most Innovative Universities are based in the United States and Western Europe.
Outside the U.S., the highest ranked university is Belgium’s KU Leuven, placed in the fifth place. In the Top 20 and representing Asia, are two Korean universities: South Korea’s KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ranked in the sixth place and Pohang University of Science & Technology (POSTECH) in the 14th spot.
To develop this ranking, Reuters gathered information from more than 600 institutions based on data from Clarivate Analytics and its research platforms such as InCites, Web of Science, Derwent Innovations Index, Derwent World Patents Index and Patents Citation Index. Then they evaluated each candidate based on 10 different indicators: Patent Volume, Patent Success, Global Patents, Patent Citations, Patent Citation Impact, Percent of Patents Cited, Patent to Article Citation Impact, Industry Article Citation Impact, Percent of Industry Collaborative Articles, and Total Web of Science Core Collection Papers.
Reuters Top 20 Most Innovative Universities 2017
- Stanford University - USA
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) - USA
- Harvard University - USA
- University of Pennsylvania - USA
- KU Leuven - Belgium
- KAIST - South Korea
- University of Washington - USA
- University of Michigan System - USA
- University of Texas System - USA
- Vanderbilt University - USA
- Duke University - USA
- University of California System - USA
- Northwestern University - USA
- Pohang University of Science & Technology (POSTECH) - South Korea
- Imperial College London - United Kingdom
- Cornell University - USA
- California Institute of Technology - USA
- University of Wisconsin System - USA
- Federal Polytechnic School of Lausanne - Switzerland
- University of Southern California - USA
To see the full table of universities, visit the Reuters site.